Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Trenches Are Being Dug

This weekend, I went to a large knife outlet about an hour's drive from home. This large store sells pretty much every brand and style of knife available, as well as clothing and other specialty items. I hadn't been there in several years, and the first thing I noticed was the addition of a new department labeled simply, "Tactical".

The Tactical department was swarming with customers. Curious, I went over to see what types of items were being offered. There were belts, holsters, clothing, boots, flashlights, and even more specialty items. And there were knives, plenty of deadly-looking knives which made the one Rambo carried look like a pen knife. Items from this department were moving out the door at an exceptionally healthy rate.

And here's the surprising thing: the customers buying these items were as diverse as any I'd ever seen. There were young men and older men. There were women of all ages. Nearly every race was represented. I saw a middle aged woman buying a tactical vest. An older gentleman was inspecting a drop-leg holster. He asked me if I thought it would accommodate a large-frame .45. A young couple was browsing glass showcases filled with military style daggers and hunting knives.

Later in the day, I stopped by a large sporting goods store which I frequent several times a year. I went to the hunting and shooting department and was shocked by what I saw: the shelves which usually housed the ammo were nearly bare. I was able to find one box of .40 caliber ammo, and that's only because someone had put it back in the wrong spot. They had NO 9mm ammo in the store. And this is a large national chain.

We stopped by Wally World on the way back home, and, out of curiosity, I checked their ammo. The shelves were bare. The associate behind they counter informed me that they sold what they could get before they could unload it off the pallet.

Across the board, everyday American citizens are arming themselves and hoarding supplies, especially ammunition. They watch the news. They hear the government's rhetoric on gun control. They read about the Department of Homeland Security amassing guns, ammo, body armor, and armored vehicles. They watch the television reports about people in Cyprus protesting the government's plan to dip into their bank accounts. And they wonder if that might happen here.

Tensions are definitely building on both sides of the aisle. The trenches are being dug. Everyone seems on edge, as if waiting for the shoe to drop.

The thing that stuck with me from my little shopping experience was the older lady who was buying the tactical vest. She wasn't smiling. Her face was set in an expression of grim determination. I can't help but wonder what she was thinking when she plopped down her money for that sleek black vest full of pockets for holding about any weapon imaginable.

I can't help but wonder what we're in for.

No comments:

Post a Comment